Sundays are our time for worship.
Our service starts at 10:30am…
- Adults, young people and children join together for a time of worship before the younger members leave for focussed activities
- Junior church – sometimes ‘messy church’. We provide Christian teaching for children and young people using creative resources enabling learning from the bible and the sharing of ideas. We follow the ‘Roots’ material.
- As a United Reformed Church we believe in working together with other churches. We have an ecumenical partnership with Ilford Lane Methodist and St. Luke’s Church of England and participate in joint worship three times a year.
- Monthly church meeting in which members have the opportunity to discuss, plan, and make decisions
We are not just open on Sundays, during the week you can join in any of the activities…
- Bible studies – Traditionally a themed set of 4 to 6 studies which occur about three times a year. They are usually held in the seasons of Advent and Christmas, Lent and Easter and the early summer. The evenings may be shared with other local churches and are facilitated by willing participants. For further information see ‘the calendar’.
- Home communion for the sick or housebound
- Home visits as required
Events and fundraising
Throughout the year we hold many events and invite everyone from the local area of any faith or no faith. Events are either aimed at getting to know our community or fundraising. These, of course, vary year to year but the following are a few examples:
- Strawberry tea in the Church garden – cream teas, cakes, ice-cream etc
- BBQ and table top sale
- Christian Aid Week – In May each year people from Vine undertake house to house collections to support the work of Christian Aid a relief and development agency that supports sustainable development and campaigns to change the rules and systems that keep people poor.
- Circle the city walk in aid of Christian Aid
- Summer Fair with activities for children, competitions and goods for sale
- Quiz night organised and led by our young people
- Festival of Music – International song, drama and music
- Harvest Festival – A celebration weekend including Harvest supper with local churches and a celebratory service.
Youth and Children’s work
- Young disciples (age 11-20 ish)
- Fundraising events
• Young adult bible studies (age16+)
- Pilots (age 5-13 monthly)
- Holiday club (age 5-13 annual)
- Training and team work!
- Education workshops
- Social events
Thanksgiving, dedication and baptism
As a United church we welcome babies and children into the church family through special baptism, christening or dedication services.
- Baptising/Christening babies/children is when the parent makes promises on behalf of the child to bring them up in the Christian faith and fellowship of the church.
- Dedicating or blessing babies/children is a chance for the parents to thank God for the child and to seek His blessing.
- Later on when the child reaches a stage when they want to confess their faith they can receive they may like to commit to full membership in the church which involves a commitment of faith.
We are licensed for full marriage services or blessings. We also offer renewal of vows.
Arrangements for funerals are available through the church office or ring 020 8514 8770.